Specific certification pathways are available for graduates of Washington’s 25 approved teaching programs, teachers with out-of-state certification, career changers inside and outside the education system, military veterans, or those with experience in business and industry.
icon of a house with trees

Residency Certification

All first-level teachers in Washington require a Residency Teacher Certificate. A Career and Technical Education Certificate is ideal for specialization or for educators who come from business and industry backgrounds. You can also acquire a Substitute Teacher Certificate or, in extraordinary cases, a Limited Teaching Certificate to start teaching immediately. Most out-of-state teachers qualify for a Washington State Residency Teacher or Professional Teacher Certificate. You can easily evaluate whether your grade level and subject endorsements align with Washington State.

icon of a diploma

Professional Certification 

There are several ways to renew or advance your certificate. For example, the ProTeach Portfolio evaluates teachers who seek a Washington professional certificate. This evidence-based assessment determines teaching effectiveness, professional development and professional contributions, as well as 12 other significant criteria. 

icon of a globe with a location pin


Foreign trained applicants who are able to demonstrate equivalency for the Residency Teacher Certificate or the Professional Certificate are also eligible for a residency certificate.



Discover your true calling

Every teacher makes a difference. Whether you illustrate subtraction to a second grader, help a high school sophomore discover cell mitosis or guide two middle school students through conflict resolution, you’re influence will be felt for a lifetime.



Whether you are ready to earn your teaching certificate or step foot in a classroom, we are here to help.

Back TO THE PROCESS Find A job


Contact us at cert@k12.wa.us or (360) 725-6400